[lbo-talk] WI recall FWIW

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jun 6 07:15:20 PDT 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:41 AM, James Leveque wrote:
> Listening to Doug's show this weekend, it really looks like the DNC
> was reluctant to fight this one. Obama never went out to Wisconsin,
> and even with the loss, the state looks like an uphill battle for
> Romney so President Kill-List isn't all that damaged by it. Looking at
> the recall, what also happened in San Diego and San Jose (under
> Democratic governership, no less), and the last couple of years of
> Obama's education reform, which in many ways works as a cover to
> destroy teacher's unions - I'm wondering if the Democrats are looking
> to a post-labor-union period.

Right, that’s the real news, isn’t it? I mean, as Doug responded to me on Twitter (the horror!), the Dems entered such a phase (if at all they ever were committed to one, as you point out in your second post) a while ago, but this one really seems to be the nail in the coffin. The question, then, is: is labour (as in workers, not the entrenched orgs) going to return the favour or are they going to continue waiting for crumbs?

—ravi