[lbo-talk] I'm ready to sell my mother into slavery just to fuck you for ever

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:01:28 PDT 2012

"You know the young Marx – I don't idealise Marx, he was a nasty guy, personally – but he has a wonderful logic. He says: 'You don't simply dissolve marriage; divorce means that you retroactively establish that the love was not the true love.' When love goes away, you retroactively establish that it wasn't even true love."

I haven't read the passage in question, but is it possible that Marx was simply describing the Catholic doctrine of annulment, rather than prescribing anything? It would be weird if they agreed on this.