[lbo-talk] A Glimpse into the Fate of Ph.D's currently

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 16:18:51 PDT 2012

Yeah, they basically want to turn the entire teaching profession into tomato pickers....while charging a fortune for a diploma.

I wonder what would happen if faculty got together and incorporated into virtual universities. You could charge $100 for a course and make a decent living teaching two or three classes to 20-30 students. Have people come to your house, or find class space to rent. Cheaper education for the students; better working conditions for the teachers. Most public schools are closed after 5 p.m., so you could maybe use those class spaces.

But as the wizard of Oz tells us, it's the diploma that matters. So the teachers would have to figure out how to have the right to bestow the holy diploma.

Just sayin, this might be more feasable than changing the current higher ed system.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Below is a post put on the English Department list, advertising an opening
> at University of Central Arkansas for a "Visiting Assistant Professor"! I
> find it amazing that people will take such positions rather than getting a
> job at Walmart.

It's a 4-4 position, but there are infinitely worse positions -- 5-5 and even 6-6. Whoever gets that job will be incredibly happy at having any kind of teaching job at all. This dying empire, whose public has been almost completely bamboozled by war-mongering, thieving plutocrats, refuses to invest in the most basic of its public infrastructures.

-- DRR