[lbo-talk] A Critical Review of David Graeber's Debt

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:25:11 PDT 2012

[WS:] I think he does recognize the historical differences - he is just telescoping through them e.g. arguing that because say the Roman law was based on the institution of slavery, every system that is based on the Roman law is therefore based on slavery. This is obviously laughable, but he nonetheless cites a good deal of anthropological research that provide more than adequate social context for economic releations.

I think the main problem of his work is that he does not acknowledge the role of class struggle in Europe and America - which is far more fundamental for understanding their historical development than, say, its slavery roots via Roman law or plunder of the New World. The critical piece that you cite mentions this.

As I see it, Graeber has a fish to fry with Marxists and manufacture an intellectual basis for his anarchist anti-statist and anti-institutional views. I think he fails in this respect miserably, as his views smack of neoliberalism sans the cult of money, but other than that - his book is a nice overview of the anthropological literature on the subject which is not well known in the US.

I do like his critique of the neoliberal economic theory, though. Obviously it did not originate with him, but his book provides a lot ammunition against this theoretical framework.

-- Wojtek