[lbo-talk] Vouchers Unspoken, Romney Hails School Choice

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:00:26 PDT 2012

His plans, presented in a recent speech at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, represent a broad overhaul of current policy, one that reverses a quarter-century trend, under Republican and Democratic presidents, of concentrating responsibility for school quality at the federal level.

“I will expand parental choice in an unprecedented way,” Mr. Romney said, adding that families’ freedom to vote with their feet “will hold schools responsible for results.”

His proposals are the clearest sign yet that Republicans have executed an about-face from the education policies of President George W. Bush, whose signature domestic initiative, the No Child Left Behind law of 2002, required uniform state testing and imposed penalties on schools that failed to progress.

Now Mr. Romney is taking his party back to its ideological roots by emphasizing a lesser role for Washington, replacing top-down mandates with a belief in market mechanisms. It is a change driven in part by Tea Party disdain of the federal government. In the Republican presidential nominating fight, candidates competed in calling to shut the Education Department.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/politics/in-romneys-voucher-education-policy-a-return-to-gop-roots.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

[WS:] I cannot believe I would say it, but Romney's position on education is superior to that of Obama and the Democrat party. The market-schmarket talk is obnoxious, to be sure, but he seems to be moving away from federally imposed 'accountability' measures tied to standardized tests scores. That makes it easier for me to accept the prospect of Romney 2012, which now seems very likely.

-- Wojtek