[lbo-talk] A Critical Review of David Graeber's Debt

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 12 11:27:31 PDT 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Doug: "about the choices that individuals make and not about the
> state-capital partnership in making it happen."
>
> [WS:] What is wrong with that? I'd rather live in state-capital
> partnership created cities than in individual choice created slums.
> In fact, slums is what we get when the state withdraws from urban
> development, which is left solely to individual initiative.

Well, not exactly. Much of central Brooklyn was redlined in the 1930s for being too black (and "too black" often meant 5%, as the movie pointed out). So the state led the capital withdrawal, and slummification followed. Also, in NYC, the state forced out a lot of industry that had been employing the black working class, creating a new generation of chronically unemployed.

But then the state moves in with subsidies and eminent domain and knocks down rent-controlled apartments, kicks out small black-owned businesses, etc., and brings in high rise condos and mall-style chain stores.

Surely there are better uses for state power.

Doug