[lbo-talk] From Labor Notes on CTU

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 12 14:35:10 PDT 2012

>From Labor Notes
Full at http://labornotes.org/2012/06/standing-corporate-school-agenda-chicago-teach ers-greenlight-strike

********** After four days of ballot-counting, the Chicago Teachers Union announced yesterday that 90 percent of CTU members voted to authorize their leaders to call a strike if negotiations continue to go badly.

An overwhelming 24,262 members, or 92 percent of the membership, voted. In a resounding display of unity, 98 percent of those voting authorized the strike. There was not a majority of CTU members at any of the 615 schools who voted "no."

"We've been pushed, and pushed, and pushed-and finally we get a chance to push back," said a CTU activist as she counted strike authorization ballots this week.

Teachers are angry over large classes, too few social workers and teachers' aides, a deadening of a curriculum increasingly tailored to standardized tests, and a quarter of all schools lacking a library. They are angry at an unelected Board of Education demonizing them as adversaries.

They are angry that the board, ignoring the pleas of parents and teachers, has systematically moved to close schools and reopen them as privatized charters with a non-union, at-will workforce and policies that punish children with learning disabilities, English language learners, and those with difficulties at home that impede their test-taking abilities.

Teachers are angry at Mayor Rahm Emanuel, a Democrat, for imposing unpaid work on them. He has pushed a seven-hour school day plus 10 extra teaching days with no additional compensation, heaping more on top of their already heavy workload. An April 2012 University of Illinois study found that teachers work an average 58-hour workweek.

They are angry over the board's proposal of a 2 percent raise over five years and the imposition of merit pay, giving principals the power to reward favorites and punish union activists.

As CTU President Karen Lewis said, "We are tired of being bullied, belittled, and betrayed" by the Board of Education.

The overwhelming vote to authorize a September strike should "put an end to speculation about how educators really feel," said Lewis, who added that "we listen to our members."