[lbo-talk] A Glimpse into the Fate of Ph.D's currently

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 15:33:53 PDT 2012

Academia is largely a status game.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- doesn't it just kill ya that sociologists pull that shit. I watched it up close at HWS. the woman to whom it happened is a nurse-midwife now! I remember having conversations about the topic - about the way *other* organizations managed to ignore structural factors and blame individuals for their "failure" to land a tenure track when the sheepskin was still, uh, warm? And then watched them turn around and do it.

even better was the time the hiring committee - hiring for a position in a department that wanted to cultivate a rep for studying CREG (class race, ethnicity, gender) -- pondered whether someone from a community college background was, you know, not such a great choice because, well, you know, how could she be any good if she started out in a community college. @@ fucking idiots.