[lbo-talk] A Glimpse into the Fate of Ph.D's currently

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 05:41:33 PDT 2012

shag wrote: "my experience as an adjunct totally contrary to Michael's. I was totally left alone to do whatever the hell I wanted, almost everyone was excellent and nice to me - helpful, willing to mentor, etc. No dean or chair ever cared what I did in the classroom."

This reflects most my experience...

Between Autumn 2005 and Summer 2010, at the University of South Carolina, I was given almost complete control over everything I did as an adjunct; from designing syllabi to reading lists, film etc etc... the ONLY thing I could not change was class location, these were allocated in advance, and class numbers, which were determined by fire, health and safety regulations. I was even invited to design the first course on Islam and the Muslim World in International Relations ever to be offered by the institution. At one point, in my final year, I even had an office with a window - some full-time faculty members did not have the privilege... Over the entire period, my evaluations were among the best, to the extent that in 2009 I won a teaching excellence award

There are big howevers that I can/should add, but most people have raised them. Try earning $6000 a year....