[lbo-talk] So.... polygamy will be legal?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:20:11 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

Damn. I thought this was going to be about polygamy, which I
> strongly support -- for other people.

Agreed. To the extent that I can support the state licensure of marriage - which I think is a stupid idea - I can't think of any legitimate business the state has imposing a maximum.

Here in Gaza, where men can realistically aspire to polygamy, I have yet to meet one who actually does. While I've run across a few old-timers with more than one wife, younger men tend to think one is enough - which doubtlessly has something to do with a man's singular obligation to provide for his family.