[lbo-talk] Sympathy strikes for Teamster sanitation workers

Quinn Hechtkopf quinnhechtkopf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:23:50 PDT 2012

I just spent six months employed as a canvasser for Working Families Party in New York City. WFP, in collaboration with SEIU, has been launching satellite campaigns in a few cities (including Philadelphia and St. Petersburg) called Fight for a Fair Economy (FFE). The entire goal is to draw people to townhall meetings to use consensus organizing against the 1% (occupy wall st style). But, from what I've been hearing, very few people show up to these meetings - like 10 people at a meeting after having fifteen canvassers organize for a month straight. And WFP generally is excellent at canvassing, so I wouldn't blame them for lack of skill. I think it's a sign of the times, having had many challenges organizing community efforts first-hand -- people just don't "get it".

Quinn