[lbo-talk] No private schools in Finland

Jeffrey fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:24:54 PDT 2012

This is a really nice piece. Thanks to Joanna for posting it. The religious school question is an important one, I agree, but this part piqued my curiosity:

// Indeed, Finland's population of 5.4 million can be compared to many an American state -- after all, most American education is managed at the state level. According to the Migration Policy Institute, a research organization in Washington, there were 18 states in the U.S. in 2010 with an identical or significantly smaller percentage of foreign-born residents than Finland. //

I would be interested in knowing which states those are and how those states did on the PISA. I don't have easy access for researching this now, but if no one else has gotten to it before Friday, I will try to remember to see if I can figure it out then.

In any case, the comparison to Norway, if we think it is a valid analysis, is an important one in checking the idea that smallness and cultural homogeneity are what make Finland's success on this front possible.