[lbo-talk] Hedges, Assange, Khan

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Jun 19 21:09:41 PDT 2012

``In every conflict, insurgency, uprising and revolution I have covered as a foreign correspondent, the power elite used periods of dormancy, lulls and setbacks to write off the opposition. This is why obituaries for the Occupy movement are in vogue. And this is why the next groundswell of popular protest-and there will be one-will be labeled as "unexpected," a "shock" and a "surprise." The television pundits and talking heads, the columnists and academics who declare the movement dead are as out of touch with reality now as they were on Sept. 17 when New York City's Zuccotti Park was occupied. Nothing this movement does will ever be seen by them as a success. Nothing it does will ever be good enough. Nothing, short of its dissolution and the funneling of its energy back into the political system, will be considered beneficial.'' Chris Hedges

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/occupy_will_be_back_20120618/

This is a very upbeat essay. Here is a Julian Assange interview with Imran Khan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WacS98ATtIM

Khan is an outsider to the Pakistan power elite, and he may get elected. It's worth listening to, because Khan explains Pakistani politics in a way that I can understand. If he does get to power, that will probably spell the end of US drone strikes, US military cooperation, and who knows what else.

I spent the day watching foreign news. Tahrir is back. Assange is in an Ecuadorian embassy in London. At the G20 Hollande met with Merkle and the videos looked frosty. Same with Obama and Putin.