[lbo-talk] Julian Assange interviews president Rafael Correa(Ecuador)

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Jun 20 15:10:15 PDT 2012

Assange has done something like 9 interviews. RT is very irregular about when it broadcasts these. Every one I've watched was fascinating. The Correa interview was great and done with wonderful rough humor. I saw that one when it first aired.

I also watched Assange interview the Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrailah and Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. They were definitely snakes, but it was magnetic to listen to them completely outside western media context. What I think I watched was why Nasrailah and Ahmadinejad have a popular base. They stand up to the US. This implies that anyone on the US bad guy list is anybody who says no.

It's no accident that RT did the interviews. The Russians are not about to back down either and are supporting their own regional powerbase which includes Syria. I think this goes along way toward explaining the mess in Syria.

This is a world where the enemy of your enemy gets deeply tested and nobody's news source can be trusted. Robert Fisk captures the Syrian Maze:

``So get this. If Mustafa spoke the truth, Hezbollah - Syria's Shia ally in Lebanon - is arming Syria's Sunni opponents in Tripoli, with financial help from a Prime Minister who heads a pro-Hezbollah government in Beirut, while Syria's supporters are shooting back with training from Syrian intelligence agencies. Even for Lebanon, this seems too much. Ali Fhoda's line, of course, includes Assad's claim that enemies use Tripoli to funnel weapons to "terrorists" in northern Syria.

This bit, I do believe - because the army found a truckload of weapons en route to Syria which had been shipped into Lebanon on a boat registered in Sierra Leone. Mustafa thinks the fighting will continue `but it's not a war'. ...''

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-in-tripoli-posters-of-martyrs-in-the-market-place-say-it-all--and-more-are-on-the-way-7834928.html

CG