[lbo-talk] Yannis and new queer agenda show...

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Tue Jun 26 04:12:26 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> I'm not clear on the use of "manager" and "mini-manager" here. and i'm
> especially confused by "inner mini-manager". Is the role of manager a
> bad thing, to be gotten rid of?

If I understand your question... I think there are genuinely useful tasks which managers monopolize... like planning, recruitment, keeping the big picture in mind, mediating arguments between workers, and being a representative so that communication doesn't have to involve a dozen people all the time.

(If we're all de facto equally empowered, sharing the skills and confidence to be leaders, then I have no problem following and leading at different times.)

Funnily enough, many tech middle-managers actually have a class analysis... they see that capitalists — or even anyone not knee-deep in the work — don't understand the work, so they explicitly shield workers from upper management's crap like umbrellas. Once I was taken aside by such a manager, who whispered asking me if I needed the CTO off my back. (He was whispering because the CTO was lurking about nearby. For reasons like this, I often use a 3-class analysis, with a kind of professional-managerial or "coordinator" class in the middle.)

All the best,

Tj