[lbo-talk] FOSSbaggery (was: something else)

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jun 26 07:13:46 PDT 2012

On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:34 AM, Matt wrote:
> On 6/25/2012 3:22 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Yeah, but I use these things a lot and have tried all that NeoCrap and it sucks by comparison. Slow and under-featured.
>
> [...]
>
>> Yeah, I've heard that one before. I don't care about rewriting stuff for my own use. I want good, solid, fast, powerful software. OpenCrap doesn't qualify.
>
> The regular FOSS debate on lbo-talk... ;-)

:-)

> Productivity software in the FOSS world does suck. There is no Project
> Management tool as good as MS Project.

Depends on which side of the table you are sitting on. In almost every instance in my professional life, a hulking beast like MS Project has always been put to bad use by “managers”, almost always to get others to spend time on getting their (the manager’s) job done. And all the bells and whistles help justify the guy’s existence and massive pay. I have a lot of problems with Agile, but there are very legitimate reasons it is popular (and even successful at times).

<snipped away some good material>

—ravi