[lbo-talk] Photographs of Workers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 27 19:19:37 PDT 2012

I tried to find something about the ad on line but either it isn't there or my googling skills are inadequate. As I remember it, she wore a yellow housedress (perhaps also a small apron?) and was standing in front of the open door of the refrigerator GE planned to manufacture as soon as the war was over. It was the first refrigerator with storage in the door. Memories that old are bound to be wrong in some details. And the more vivid they are the more certain it is that they have an error someplace.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:06 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Photographs of Workers

Shag, are you familiar with the refrigerator ad from the war years with the caption "When my husband comes home I'm going to show him the door." Rosie the riveter should never be mentioned except in the same breath as the woman in that ad. They both often appeared in the same issue of a magazine. One focused on immediate need, the other was preparation for the post-war expulsion of women from industrial jobs.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of shag carpet bomb Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:56 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Photographs of Workers

the photos were commissioned by the u.s. government, a hold over from the public works program (WPA? was it?), part of the u.s propaganda effort. There's an original Rosie the Riveter who was photographed. I'm familiar with these because I created some blog decisions for a labor guy many years ago. We were going to use the labor photography of Earl Dotter, sprinkling in some of the LoC photos because Earl's photos, while stunning, weren't always the right aspect ratio for a blog.

here's the original photo: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosie_the_Riveter_(Vultee)_DS.jpg>http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosie_the_Riveter_(Vultee)_DS.jpg

the article at the library of congress was interesting: <http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/journey/rosie.html>http://www.loc.gov/rr/prog ram/journey/rosie.html