[lbo-talk] The Best Years of Our Lives

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 19:20:09 PDT 2012

I am making my way through "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men," and I'm falling in love with Agee's writing.

He wrote a lot of movie criticism -- some for the Nation, some for....I forget. Here's his piece on "Best Years of Our Lives" in the Nation.

http://www.thenation.com/article/best-years-our-lives#

I think he is entirely fair to the film; he liked it quite a bit. Modern Library has collected all his essays on film in a book titled "Agee on Film." Great good stuff on Chaplin, silent comedy, and John Houston whom he rightfully loved, especially "Treasure of Sierra Madre."

Joanna