[lbo-talk] The Best Years of Our Lives

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 07:04:14 PDT 2012

123hop:

I am making my way through "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men," and I'm falling in love with Agee's writing.

He wrote a lot of movie criticism -- some for the Nation, some for....I forget. Here's his piece on "Best Years of Our Lives" in the Nation.

http://www.thenation.com/article/best-years-our-lives#

"The story is a sort that could have been, and often remains, just slick-paper fiction and its most sincere, and that could also have become, and occasionally suggests, a great simple, limpid kind of fiction at its most sincere, and that could also have become, and occasionally suggests, a great and simple, limpid kind of fiction which few writers of serious talent seem able to attempt or even to respect, at present. "

^^^^^ CB: What a choppy sentence (smiles)