[lbo-talk] Supreme courts in and out of the U.S.

James Leveque jamespl79 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 07:49:06 PDT 2012

I've only lived in the UK for a couple years now and I don't really know that much about it's court system - but why, in the U.S., is every supreme court decision greeted like Moses coming down the mountain to read the tablets of law? Or, more to the point, why doesn't the UK (or elsewhere) react with the sort of awe over the social ritual of supreme court decisions. I assume that the supreme courts over here do roughly the same thing (i.e., establish normative interpretations of law) but I've never experienced any like the reaction you get in the U.S.

Anybody know about these things?

James