[lbo-talk] Jargon in Science

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Mar 1 11:10:11 PST 2012

This is fun ...!

> ... for example in IT a "stack" is a ...

Stop right there. One of the cherrished traditions of Computer Science is to:

1) Appropriate a term from outside the practice 2) Assign a new meaning to it 3) Argue incessantly about whether it means that or some other thing 4) Lose track of the whole point

A "stack" isn't any one particular thing, least of all the definition you gave. I can think of at least 5 different meanings in the CS context of a stack. Oops, 6. Ok, 7. I'll stop now. 8.

A stack is in the eye of the beholder.

/jordan