[lbo-talk] Jargon in Science

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 11:55:07 PST 2012

Well, a lot of what made medicine into a respectable science in the sixteenth/seventeenth century was the adoption of latin/greek terms for common words. The latin/greek terms themselves were bread and butter words in latin and greek, but sounded "learned" in English. There's no difference between "hematoma" and "blood clot." You do not treat a hematoma differently than you would a blood clot.

But in IT, a "pointer" is a variable whose value is an address, which has implications for how you are able to use it. And there's nothing in the word "pointer" as a common word that would suggest its specific IT use and implications.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> So, in IT we have "buffer," "stack," "cache," "heap," "protocol," "pointer," "cookie,"....all with common meanings that are not relevant to IT because for example in IT a "stack" is a data structure you use to process/execute assembly language instructions that represent higher language constructs. It's like a stack of dishes in the sense that you can only take the dish off the top (without breaking all the dishes). But otherwise, it's a very particular meaning that gives programmers a convenient term for communicating about the work they do.
>
> Or, in medicine you have "hematoma," -- blood clot, or all the "itis" words, which mean inflammation of something, and which mostly have the virtue of making doctors look like experts.

Wait, why are you drawing a difference between medicine and IT? Don't IT terms mostly have the virtue of making programmers look like experts?

-- Andy