[lbo-talk] Jargon in Science

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 12:30:05 PST 2012

I don't deny that "pointer" was chosen for its common-language associations; but in IT it means something very specific.

And while "hematoma" is not a Greek word -- it is true that science found much of its authority in creating words based on classical roots because the knowledge of those languages used to stand as a guarantee of expertise and authority.

So, while I may be somewhat wrong in the particulars, I'm making a larger argument about how technical terms develop.

I'm not an expert, but it seems an interesting conversation on the use and abuse of language as professional jargon.

Joanna