[lbo-talk] Cathexis?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Mar 1 17:16:04 PST 2012

At 07:35 PM 3/1/2012, Michael Smith wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 22:47:27 +0000 (UTC)
>123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > So,while we're on the subject, do you think there's a specific need for
> "cathexis" as opposed to "attachment"?
>
>I would have said they meant something quite
>different. People placed a cathexis in Obama
>(would that it had been a catheter) but nobody is
>attached to him.

:)

but the word "attachment" is actually jargon, specific to bowlby's "attachment theory" which was first promulgated in a U.N. pamphlet. bowlby used it to distinguish his ideas from freud, but also to signal that he was working from a specific approach to psychology and departing from psychoanalysis. in fact, he was widely criticized by psychoanalysts for his approach which they (rightly) saw as problematic because he rejected the concept of drives, and wanted a way to understand the bond between infants and caregivers that was a relationship in its own right, with no connection to sexuality or drives, let alone being bound up with the notion that there was a energy involved in such libidinal investments that would seek outlet somehow, someway, if suppressed.

i agree with miles. jargon is just a word used by people who inhabit a lifeworld with which you aren't familiar. big fucking deal. why it gets everyone's panties in a knot to hear people use words and language specific to them, i don't get. in my company, which is composed of a several dozen separate business units, as you go from one IT department to the other, you discover that each has its own way of talking about software development.

redball hotfix hot swap priority fix critical update P0 fix pee zero o'dark fix

I, personally, found this fascinating and wanted to find out why each terms was used. each, of course, has its own interesting background. e.g., the hot swap terminology evolved in a unit dominated by network ops and sys admins.

o'dark fix comes from the fact that one unit could never release emergency fixes to their stuff unless it was at 3 a.m. during the maintenance window.

red ball comes from the film, Minority Report. A red ball coming down the chute meant that it wasn't going to be a pre-meditated murder.

hotfix evolved in a shop dominated by microsoft weinies

etc.