[lbo-talk] Literacies and Modern Barbarism

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 11:18:34 PST 2012

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Print culture or "writing" literacy is non-authoritarian, non sadistic, only
>so long as it is subordinate to the central human literacy of speaking and
>listening and responding to what one hears. So subordinated, it is a
>powerful tool of freedom.

I know this valorization of speaking over writing has a long and celebrated history in Western thought, but I don't follow the reasoning here. Speaking and listening can be a tool of freedom or oppression, just as written communication can. --A simple example: if someone is being tortured for opposing political authority, it matters not one wit whether the torture order was given verbally or in writing. And as we demonstrate in this forum, writing at its best can provoke thoughtful consideration of different perspectives; at its worst, the words are blunt tools to inflict ridicule. However, those same possibilities of language use occur in oral communication! We've all been party to verbal interactions that are inspiring and others that are literally oppressive ("you're fired!").

So--why consider oral literacy central or primary?

Miles