[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:02:20 PST 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/opinion/sunday/confessions-of-a-bad-teacher.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

That said, given all the support in the world, even the best teacher can’t force his students to learn. Students aren’t simply passive vessels, waiting to absorb information from their teachers and regurgitate it through high-stakes assessments. They make choices about what they will and won’t learn. I know I did. When I was a teenager, I often stayed up way too late, talking with friends, listening to music or playing video games. Did this affect my performance on tests? Undoubtedly. Were my teachers responsible for these choices? No.

-- Wojtek http://wsokol.blogspot.com/