[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:07:41 PST 2012

When I was in grad school at Berkeley, I volunteered at the Prescott School. The teacher was a recent graduate who was out of touch with the poor, unprepared students. I tried to tutor some of the least prepared students, but could not make much progress.

I finally came upon a solution. I took the five more disruptive students out of the room to play basketball, hoping that the teacher could salvage a few of the others. I guess that I was a bad teacher, but then the charter schools, which are good at education, follow the same strategy, refusing to deal with students with learning disabilities. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com