[lbo-talk] Berkeley and Bay Area as a microcosm

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Mar 5 22:19:49 PST 2012

>> Berkeley is becoming a green ghetto for rich ...
>
> So ... you're new here, right? I've lived in Berkeley over most of the
> last 30 years and it's never been other than this. My guess is that it's
> been like this since it was founded.

This impression is not accurate. Once upon a time, Berkeley had a pretty thriving working class area below MLK or Grove, which descended lower into the hard bight working class of heavy labor and Mexican immigrants below San Pablo. Below 6th Street it was like near 1930 conditions. Example. 120 dollars a month got me a two bedroom stucco apartment a block below Grove. 120 dollars below 6th got me a three bedroom house with a backyard for vegetables and a chicken coop. The nieghbors didn't speak English, grew cornand had chickens.We had identical houses and backyards.