[lbo-talk] Subject: Re: Confessions of a bad teacher

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:59:02 PST 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Jordan <jgl123 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I worked at feeder schools for Punahou and worked with many of their students over
> the years - and actually at a Punahou sports program one summer.  To my mind, the Punahou experience was the
> main influence on Obama, and people tend to quickly gloss over it when they consider why he is who he is.
>
> He is the product of one of the most elite schools in the world.

Punahou's total endowment: $183.8 million (source: http://www.punahou.edu/page.cfm?p=1538). Basically, a hedge fund masquerading as a school.

Kind of interesting that in the twilight phase of Wall Street neoliberalism, so many of its ideological campaigns and cultural documents revolve around the privatization of education, from the war on public education to the neoconservative Harry Potter franchise. But I guess it makes sense that a dying Empire would hate and fear children: their very existence points to a future that the Empire can no longer control.

-- DRR