[lbo-talk] Corey Robin's Reactionary Mind argument in miniature

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 7 17:29:55 PST 2012

that's unfair to Robin, though. If that's all he wrote in his book, he'd have spent a lot of pages explaining what you'd learn in a section of intro to political theory class.

BTW, his last couple of paragraphs are what always make me cringe about his approach to argument on his blog. he knows that he shouldn't imply that they are hypocrites. So, he tells us that "we" aren't implying they are hypocrits, even after he does point and laugh at Sanchez, implying he's a hypocrit, with the phrase, "It never seems to dawn on Sanchez...." This is just another way of saying, what a hypocrit. Robin implies with "it never seems to occur" that Sanchez either lies to himself or is so ideologically blinded, he doesn't realize he's a hypocrit/inconsistent.

" It never seems to dawn on Sanchez that the very same money power that would lead him­a fairly independent minded writer, who feels free enough from economic constraints that he can quit a well-paying, enjoyable gig merely on suspicion that he might be forced to hold his tongue in the future­to second-guess himself at Cato might have equal if not more effect upon others. When the Kochs wield their money at Cato, that's hegemony. But when they do it in Wisconsin, that's democracy.

So when leftists smirk at Sanchez's cri de coeur, it's not because we think he's being hypocritical or inconsistent. It's because we think he's telling the truth. Exactly as he sees it.

Which is what is wrong with that approach to smirking chimpery. The fact is, Sanchez's libertarianism could explain to his audience precisely why he thinks the way he does - why he's not a hypocrit. Which is to say, the reason why you shouldn't bother pointing out hypocrisy, aside from the logical fallacy, is that the better way to deal with "hypocrisy" when you find it is to ask yourself, "Well, in the best light possible, what *does* this guy mean? why *is* he arguing this? How would he explain himself."

It's in that answer that you will find the argument that you *should* go after.

As it is, all Robin wants to do is go after low hanging fruit. But, hey, it's a blog and he's a journalist. Low hanging fruit is the name of the game.