[lbo-talk] Occupy's 89%? Where anarchism shuns unionists, it allies with the ultra-right

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 9 10:37:17 PST 2012

Charles is a committed Marxist, and is capable of powerful and insightful analysis of capitalism and the necessity for its destruction. A comparison of his posts a decade ago with most of his present posts offers, I think, a vivid illustration of the stultifying impact of the CPUSA of the last 30 years on its members. I am a great admirer of the CP not only in the '30s but also on much of its practice (as opposed to its mushy theory) in the 1950s and 1960s. And it is romanticezation of this past which I think explains the continuing power of the CPUSA of the present to exert its baneful influence on some contemporary leftists.

I still keep hoping that the nominal goals of the CP (the overthrow of capitalism) will somehow bring those like Charles back to reality. But that is perhaps merely wishful thinking on my part.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Ferenc Molnar Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 12:11 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Occupy's 89%? Where anarchism shuns unionists, it allies with the ultra-right

CB wrote: "Romanticizing aside, pitting the 89% of the 99% against its leading and most organized sector is very much against the material and political interests of that unorganized 89%. It is very much doing the work of the 1%."

FM: Yes, or pitting the 10% against the 79%. But I don't think that's happening either in the Oakland Commune or within the wider occupy and anarchist groupings although there are certainly real tensions here that will only increase if they aren't examined in good faith as I believe the Oakland Commune article is doing:

"This is not to malign the actions of the workers themselves or their participation in such struggles – one can no more choose to participate in a fight for one’s survival than one can choose to breathe, and sometimes such actions can become explosive trigger points that ignite a generalized antagonism. But we should be honest about the limits of these fights, and seek to push beyond them where possible. Too often, it seems as if we rely on a sentimental workerism, acting as if our alliance with port workers will restore to us some lost authenticity."

A question is being asked about who is the revolutionary subject. A question I remember we were asking on this list a while back during Jodi Dean's lectures. It's still a relevant question especially now that there is some actual militant data to draw on since the Arab Spring, Wisconsin and Occupy showed up.  ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk