[lbo-talk] writing about other people's suffering

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 11:09:51 PST 2012

[WS:] It is a mixed bag. I had a similar experience in Cambodia - my driver pointed to a woman with a terribly disfigured child begging at a temple in the assumption that I would like to take a picture. His behavior was probably due to the fact that a bit earlier I paid $5 (a considerable amount in that part of the world) to a boat woman for letting me take a picture of her and her kids, and he was surprised that I refused. The difference however, was that the first scene expressed certain stoic dignity (see for yourself http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1008046086569&set=a.1008043606507.2001216.1387451054&type=3&theater) whereas the other one was just misery.

In any case, locals oftentimes use such "photo-ops" to earn some money - they approach tourists offering to pose for a small fee. In other instances, they like to be photographed and pose for free, or simply do not mind. I like taking pictures of street scenes (e.g. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1008000165421&set=a.1007999525405.2001199.1387451054&type=3&theater)

that show the character of the place and local people but I avoid photographing scenes of misery.

Wojtek