[lbo-talk] Daylight Slaving Time

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 11:17:00 PDT 2012

Doug: "Call me squishy, but I like the longer daylight in the evening."

[WS:] So do I. It is the changing of time measurement to fit the capitalist organization of time - instead of the the other way around - that I dislike. In other words - flexible, seasonably adjusted day schedules instead of rigid schedules and tinkering with the clocks in a lame attempt to compensate for this rigidity.

As to technology - I just learned that it is necessary to switch the phone off and then back on for the DST time adjustment to take effect.

I am not sure how it works with other phones or carriers, though. Windows does it automatically when I start the computer, but I am not sure if it did if I kept running it overnight during the change.

Carrol: "Parents in particular hate to see their children go to school in pitch darkness. "

[WS:] Yup. This touches a broader issue of the school schedules to fit the capitalist organization of workday instead of circadian rhythms of human body - especially children. For example, high schools start at 7AM to accommodate busing, and also the fact that parents drop off elementary and middle school kids on their way to work - even though research consistently show that adolescents function very poorly at such early hours. Of course all that could have been avoided if schools were built within walking distance from where students live (I walked to schools from age 7 to age 18) - but this is inconsistent with the "business model." Another example of detrimental effect of capitalism on human condition.

Another observation - I am reasonably sure that the organization of time under capitalism has the ultimate goal of leaving as little free time to the grunts as possible. I think it has more to do with control of labor than with productivity. Productivity goes down as the workday progresses, so from a purely business pov, it would make sense to have, say a 4-5 hour working day. It would solve the issue of unemployment too. Yet the knee jerk opposition of capitalists to any attempt of shortening the workday (cf. France) suggests that what is really at stake here is the control of labor - if grunts spend most of their day on commuting to/and from work and sitting, even if unproductively, in the environment controlled by capitalists, they have less time for, say, union organizing and other "subversive" activities.

Wojtek