[lbo-talk] Fwd: Noam goes with Barry ?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:06:04 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Marv Gandall <marvgand at gmail.com> wrote:

On 2012-03-11, at 6:20 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> > I see Marv's implicit claim here - that rejectionism, or purism, or
> > principle, or whatever you want to call it, is primarily the domain of
> > Richie and Whitie - bandied about quite a bit.
>
> No, those are your words, Joseph, not mine - not implicitly or explicitly.

You said:

The question, of course, is whether the "small differences" between Obama and a (chastened) second term Bush administration or a Romney administration have "large effects". Depends on your standpoint. If you're poor and powerless, non-white, or have liberal rather than conservative social values, you'd be inclined to agree.

Have I somehow misread your words, which seem clear enough? You're saying that those who are "poor and powerless, non-white, or have liberal rather than conservative social values" are most likely to see "large effects" in alleged differences between the two parties, correct? Unless I've misunderstood you completely, I can only repeat that, with the exception of your last category (which makes the whole set seem a bit random), actual historical turnout at the polls would seem to indicate the opposite.