[lbo-talk] Noam goes with Barry ?

nathan tankus somekindofheterodox at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 01:15:46 PDT 2012

what I think Chomsky misses here is the effect a republican president has on that culture of democracy. I think a decent argument could be made that a large swath of the small, medium and large organizations organized around issues or politics Chomsky talks a lot about essentially shut down when a democrat is in office. Like journalists, liberals tend to censor themselves when they feel what they say undermines a democratic adminstation. I mean, liberals have basically completely shut down for the last 3 years only to rear their ugly head and get in the streets within days when republicans started talking crap about vaginas.

I'm not completely sold on this view (considering the counterargument that people wish for a democrat when a republican is in office and wish for democracy when a democrat is in office), but i don't think it's unreasonable.

--Nathan Tankus