[lbo-talk] 400, 000 trade unionists to canvass door to door for Obama?

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Mar 13 13:04:37 PDT 2012

My impression is that a lot of this stuff gets negotiating in fairly sketchy ways. A lot of times you have staff members going on 'vacation' to do this sort of work with the understanding that this time will be compensated with informal vacation time. At the same time, at least in my not very representative workplace, there are volunteers who will trust leadership that the work they are doing is worth doing. Marv is also probably right that a lot of rank and file folks will operate from a lesser evil perspective, but given the nature of the trades, I bet a lot of this work is done by staff.

robert wood