[lbo-talk] Fwd: Noam goes with Barry ?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Mar 13 13:25:23 PDT 2012

At 03:05 PM 3/13/2012, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>Eric Beck writes:
>
>>the relevance of voter nonparticipation is not trying find
>>the ideology that lurks behind it but reckoning with the
>>refusal/nonparticipation as a political act itself.
>
>(Wouldn't that be an ideology lurking?)
>
>How would you square that with the other finding, which has been mentioned
>several times now, that non-voters are more satisfied with the way things
>are than voters? How could you tease non-voting as a political act out of
>that?
>
>/jordan

1. which question? on view of the federal government, not likely to vote are:

content: 25 frustrated: 50 angry: 19

on federal government, likely to vote are: content: 16 frustrated: 55 angry: 27

Interestingly, they are similar frustrated. What they are less likely to be is angry. This, given the large proportion of people of color answering, is likely to be an effect of who is president, no?

On the question of whether they are satisfied with the nation:

nonvoters are: sat: 30 dissat: 65

likely voters are: sat: 20% dissat: 75%

But if you go look at the historical data, what you notice is that the number for likely voters is much higher this year, among republicans, than not. In other words, the disparity in dissatisfaction has something to do, in part, with outrage from republican likely voters - who, as you can see whn you look at the data, are a higher percentage than ever before of likely voters. <http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-questionnaires/658.pdf>http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-questionnaires/658.pdf

also interesting in the tables is that 10% of democrats think the economy is good, vs 6 Republicans. Which seems like an Obama-effect to me. Pretty hilarious. Wonder how much of it is similar for the non-voters where, because they may be more apt to be people of color, they are, uh, "going with Barry"? :)

2. it's well known that poor people often believe they are the reason why they are poor. they are told, daily, that they made the wrong choices, didn't get that degree, etc. so unlike a college graduate who can't find work they blame themselves

3. l