[lbo-talk] facebook issues?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 19:07:00 PDT 2012

Rebooting seems to have solved the problem. I didn't think of quitting/restarting Firefox. It was behaving the same way on Firefox as on Internet Explorer. This was all on WIndows XP.

Thanks for the help,

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- On Mar 13, 2012, at 8:20 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> When I log in to facebook, it takes forever, and then I get a message that says that it's running some script that will slow my computer to a stop.
>
> How shall I proceed? Anyone else dealing with this?

It’s difficult to debug this sort of thing remotely. What browser are using? If you are not using Firefox or Chrome (or Safari) you should consider switching to one of them. Do you have a lot of extensions installed on your browser? What OS are you running? In general, FB keeps tight control on the scripts that load through their main page (i.e., IIRC FB apps written by 3rd parties can spam your newsfeed with annoying bits of about Farmville or what not but they cannot insert scripts — JavaScript — into the FB page).

I would say, do this in order and stop if any of them fixes the problem:

1. Try FB an hour or two later. 2. Completely quit your browser and restart it. Sometimes memory leaks and other issues can degrade your browser performance over time. 3. Reboot if you are running Windows. 3a. If you are running any Unix, setup a login for me and I can poke around :-).

—ravi