[lbo-talk] Why is Obama never identified as a mulatto?

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 12:59:00 PDT 2012

 So not only is black beautiful it must be better!

Cheers, ken

  Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:15:48 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why is Obama never identified as a mulatto?

On Mar 14, 2012, at 2:41 PM, ken hanly wrote:

>  Better I should have asked: Why is Obama identified as an African American rather than of mixed ancestry or something of the sort.

One-drop rule. It still dominates the national consciousness, and not just among whites. Obama called himself "black" on his 2010 Census form, and academic/columnist/budding TV star Melissa Harris-Perry identifies as black despite having a white parent.