[lbo-talk] Why is Obama never identified as a mulatto?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 14 15:33:39 PDT 2012

At 03:56 PM 3/14/2012, Max Sawicky wrote:

> > In the U.S., I'd say the archaism of the term underlines
> > the old racist distinctions, as Carroll notes. Today one
> > form of racist contempt for Obama is expressed in the
> > charge that is a "half-breed," an effort to delegitimize him
> > as a person, as in, he is neither one thing nor another,
> > he is nothing.

There was an item on Real Time with Bill Maher where someone interviewed people in Mississippi. One of the guys they interviewed said he didn't like Obama. The filmmaker asked, "Is it because he's black?"

He replies, "no. It's not because he's black. He's a half breed. well, he's half black too. But he's a half breed."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/10/maher-panel-responds-to-footage-of-mississippi-voters/