[lbo-talk] new frontiers in employee ownership

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Mar 15 08:45:43 PDT 2012

>> Jordan: "I always thought it was really just the main mechanism for
>> avoiding pension costs"
>
> [WS:] This is just one way of socializing costs and privatizing
> profits, no?

When Microsoft does it, how does that 'socialize' the cost?

What I'm saying is that NYC is no different from Microsoft: there's nothing special about the public-ness of NYC in this case. The original estimate was $73M, and it went to $700M (now down to $200M net, I suppose :-) ... Bloomberg looked at it and said: as a one-time charge, it's cheap compared to having to take care of City employees "forever" ... he probably still thinks it's cheap, and he's probably even right.

/jordan