[lbo-talk] Neoliberalism Hits a Speedbump?

Tony Rolfe mr.tony.rolfe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:11:58 PDT 2012

Where do we find evidence of a confident assertive working class in China? I'll admit I've been tuned mostly to Arab Springs, OWS, Wisconsin, Greek protests, UK riots etc...

I'll assume there are convincing labour movements in China, but what clear-cut evidence of this do we have available from a US/western vantage point?

When labour is in short supply and workers are confident of finding work, I would say that their inclinations towards any sort of action, individual or collective, will be determined mostly by cultural norms.

Low-level tech workers in Silicon Valley are not contemplating forming unions just because the NasDaq hit 3000 yesterday.

BTW property values in China have inflated rather dramatically in big cities, and (this is conjecture) but rents have probably ratcheted up to match. A demand for minimum wage increases doesn't seem so radical if you can't afford adequate shelter--household formation. That's an economic breaking point, not a sign of advanced class consciousness, right?