[lbo-talk] Noam goes with Barry ?

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 06:41:13 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-17, at 5:52 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> [WS:] That is one possible interpretation, but the theory itself does
> not necessarily postulate this. Its main mechanism is transaction
> cost, so if transaction cost to benefit balance is radically altered,
> a radical change is not only possible but also likely.
>
> Another observation - a formulation of "path dependence" can be found
> in Karl Marx's "18th brumaire" Of course, he did not develop
> probability models, like Arthur did, but the concept is there. Here is
> the relevant quote:
> "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please;
> they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under
> circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past.
> The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the
> brains of the living.

So "path dependence" theorists, like others associated with "institutionalism," borrow from Marx. Much "social science" after Marx is an appropriation of his insights - in the most outrageous cases, presented as a refutation rather than elaboration of his theory, based on misrepresentation of what he actually wrote, by academics not wanting to be mistaken for Marxists. And it would seem "neo-institutionalists" have abandoned the English language favoured by their predecessors. At he risk of sounding like a philistine, isn't "a radical change is not only possible but likely if the transaction cost to benefit balance is radically altered" just gobbledygook for the observation that "some situations demand radical solutions"?