[lbo-talk] Noam goes with Barry ?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:49:09 PDT 2012

Wojtek S wrote:

> Marxism missed the mark
> quite a bit by focusing on economics and disregarding institutional
> and cultural factors (or rather reducing them to economic ones.) I
> understand it was a healthy reaction to idealism of that time, but we
> should not let the kulturkampf of one era blind our sociological
> analyses.

^^^^^^^

CB: Marxism focuses on class struggle, which is to say _political_ economy, not economics. In focusing on class struggle, historical materialism, one must deal with institutional and cultural ( historical factors). Leninists have always emphasized the importance of the specific histories of various countries.