[lbo-talk] Fwd: Noam goes with Barry ?

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:20:06 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-20, at 7:33 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> I have not met that many academics who do not want to be
> associated with Marxism for some political reasons, as you seem to
> suggest.

I don't dispute this. There's a cohort of academics in the humanities and social sciences who passed through the campus movements of the 60's and early 70's for whom Frankfurt School Marxism became especially fashionable.

I had written that "much 'social science' after Marx is an appropriation of his insights - in the most outrageous cases, presented as a refutation rather than elaboration of his theory, based on misrepresentation of what he actually wrote, by academics not wanting to be mistaken for Marxists", which is not quite as sweeping as what you attribute to me.

Otherwise, I appreciate the time you took to clarify your position.