[lbo-talk] Damien Hirst

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 20 13:17:23 PDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 12:54 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Would Andy praise Damien today ...?

I'm sure he would.

> Why you'd want to compare him with Warhol is beyond me.

Because in a lot of criticism I read the two are linked, as if Hirst is taking what Warhol did to a logical extension. I don't think that's the case.

>> Meanwhile, what he's selling has gotten less and less interesting.
>> That never happened with Warhol.
>
> So we're back to "I don't like it" are we?

I don't know. Could be. Some things *are* better than others though.

> Art isn't like sport: there's room for a million "winners" (unlike, say, "Super Bowl Champions")

But there's only one Turner Prize winner and this points up one thing that bugs me about Hirst. He's participating in, I won't say causing, a process that leans toward turning art into a kind of financial blood sport. But, as you say, there's a lot of wiggle room and art is nothing if not slippery.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ufbxyd3p55IC&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=%22damien+hirst%22+corporate+sponsor&source=bl&ots=FIWAuQOkLZ&sig=100D7lUIYDGyxk0lG_vlCPc0V54&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7tloT4fMA6WqiQKJw6WoBw&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=%22damien%20hirst%22%20corporate%20sponsor&f=false