[lbo-talk] On "whiteness"

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 09:56:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

Neither you, nor [most?] Palestinians, are dark-skinned. :-)

Most, to be sure. Note the range of hues in this picture I recently snapped alone:

http://richardfalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/hana-shalabi-catron-3.jpg

There's one non-Palestinian in it: the long-haired blond photographer in the background. And I know a long-haired blond Palestinian fisherman in Gaza. When he was abducted by Zionists at sea, they were frantically calling all the embassies, trying to figure out whose citizen they had captured.

It isn't at all unusual for me, a "white" person, to be the darkest-skinned occupant in a room full of people our society (if not officially our government) would classify as non-"white," however they might characterize themselves. Ain't race a hoot?