[lbo-talk] Internet accounts

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:57:22 PDT 2012

I follow your drift. The only thing that I can say is that the lack of standardization is a standard way in which industries create niche monopolies - good for business bad for consumers. I grew up in an environment where you buy an electronic part in, say, France and you could be sure it would fit equipment made in any other European country, as they all followed DIN standards. So I find this lack of standardization quite annoying.

As I said before, I do not believe there is such a thing as absolute security, especially on the internet. The best you can hope is to create obstacles that, say, will prevent your spouse from snooping through your email to see if you are cheating on her , but they will not stop a determined, knowledgeable person with right equipment from gaining access to anything stored on the internet.

>From that pov, locking your secret info in a drawer with a key gives
you more security than storing it in the "cloud" because it increases the transaction cost if the not ease of breaking in. If, say, a Russian mafioso wanted to steal my credit card info stored on line he can do it without leaving his home town, but he would need to travel to DC to do it if my credit card were locked in my drawer. It would be easy for him to break the lock, but the cost of so doing would be higher than he can get from fraudulent charges.

As I see, if I want to keep something secret, I do not put on the internet, and when I do put something on the interned, I do not expect it to remain secret. But then I do not mind my credit card info being stolen, because I am not liable for fraudulent charges. That is the main reason I am using them in the first place. And I have nothing to hide from my wife either ;) what is more, the best way to prevent something from being stolen is not by erecting security measures but making stealing it not worth the effort. I know that in many parts of this country people do not lock doors to their homes because there is nothing worth stealing there.

wojtek