[lbo-talk] Obama Speaks Out on Trayvon Martin Killing

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Mar 23 18:25:12 PDT 2012

On Mar 23, 2012, at 9:11 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> I don't know Shane's position on the police-judicial-correctional
> apparatus
> as a whole, but in cases like this, I'm always amused by the number
> of my
> "prison abolitionist" friends who rally to the "we want arrests"
> banner.
> Really, if I ever exhibit that much cognitive dissonance, someone
> please do
> me a favor and point it out.

I can't imagine a situation where, in a minimally decent social order, the perpetrator of such an atrocity would not be immediately apprehended and punished according to the laws or standards of that decent social order.

The lesson of this is that by no stretch of imagination can the American police-judicial-correctional apparatus be considered the expression of a decent social order.

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol