[lbo-talk] Obama Speaks Out on Trayvon Martin Killing

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 15:18:48 PDT 2012

Michael Smith wrote:

> Any one loon like George Zimmerman is a lot more dangerous than any number of potheads or turnstile- jumpers or deadbeat dads or graffiti-painters.

Much talk against prison policy is unconvincing because people don't know what they're talking about. Or, to be kind, they don't have the latest info. You're in New York right? I ask because what you say here gives a false impression of what's going on there:

http://www.aclu.org/infographic-safety-numbers-prison-population-statistics-new-york-vs-indiana

August 15, 2011

In the last decade, New York drastically reduced its prison population and at the same time experienced a huge drop in crime. Indiana, on the other hand, drastically increased its prison population — and consequently the burden to taxpayers — while seeing a much smaller drop in crime than the national average.

graphic here:

https://www.aclu.org/files/drugpolicy/safetyinnumbers.pdf